Venezuela is safer than many other South American countries. However, crime is not uncommon. Many windows are barred and some shops use security guards. Lately crime in big cities has increased, especially in Caracas.
- Keep money well hidden. A money belt that sits under clothes is a probably the best way to carry cash, passport etc.
- Split your money. Deposit large sums in a hotel safe.
- Take travellers cheques as these carry insurance.
- Expensive items (cameras etc.) should be carried and used inconspicuously
- Don´t leave luggage unattended.
- Don´t leave possessions in a car, particularly a hire car.
- Avoid walking alone late at night.
These safety tips are precautionary. Many areas are safe and most travellers in Venezuela experience no trouble. The most important thing to remember is to use common sense!
Report about any problems and errors to: email@example.com
Copyright © 1998 - 2002 by Think C.A.